The Get West Somerset Car appeal is about matching up individuals who have no means of transport in West Somerset to reach their full potential. If you are in need of a car for work or training we could help!
How does the scheme work?
- CCS is calling on the generosity of Somerset’s people to donate their second-hand cars, that are in working order but that they no longer need, to help get West Somerset moving.
- If someone is in need of a vehicle for work or training agency staff can make an initial referral to us.
- If eligible we then pass the applicant’s details to West Somerset Advice for a full financial assessment to ensure the applicant can afford the running and maintenance costs of the vehicle.
- Once you have completed the assessment and pass the criteria we can match the applicant up with a FREE vehicle.
- Aftercare – we will give basic car care training on oil levels, tyre pressure and visual checks. After 6 months we will also provide a FREE vehicle check and provide any alerts to up and coming maintenance required.
- The last step at the 6-month mark is to check the applicant is managing the finances associated with the car and any other support they require.
Please note: There is no cost for the Car but the applicant will be taking on the: insurance, general upkeep, fuel, and maintenance. Rest-assured when we provide the vehicle it has been through a complete check, service and MOT, provided by Rusty Road to Recovery (RR2R) so it is completely roadworthy. The car has had a 120 point check: assessed for its suitability to be used by a potential recipient by looking at factors including condition, cost of maintenance, and cost of insurance. RR2R will, as a minimum, service the vehicle and enable it to gain a 12 month MOT and undertake any minor repairs to make the vehicle fit for use for 12 months.
To find out more
Simply contact Community Involvement Officer Katherine
Does the applicant qualify to receive a FREE Car?
- You must have a full clean UK Driving Licence
- You must be over 18
- Agencies must complete the initial referral form
- You must pass the West Somerset Advice financial needs assessment.
How cars are donated
We called on the people of Somerset to donate their second-hand cars, which are in working order but that they no longer need, to help get West Somerset moving.
Minor mechanical problems and no MOT are not a barrier as qualified mechanics, working at local not-for-profit social enterprise Rusty Road 2 Recovery, carry out a full service and safety check before handing the vehicles over. Any vehicles that are beyond repair will be sold for parts, with all the profits put back into the project.