Somerset Diverse Communities (SDC) works with and supports minority ethnic communities across Somerset.
If you are part of a community group, would like to start one, or need help expanding the work you’re already doing – or for anything else – contact our team!
We look forward to hearing from you!Contact our team
Come to our FREE Women’s Conversation Clubs
A friendly group to support you, make friends and practice your English in a relaxed environment.
- Practice your spoken English
- Meet new friends
- Children welcome
- In term time
- Women only
Training & Workshops
Somerset Diverse Communities have been providing a variety of training opportunities across the county. Recently, sessions have ben delivered to Spark Somerset’s Volunteer Coordinators Forum and a workshop designed for Home Treatment Service and First Response service (NHS).
The training focused on the importance of diversity and inclusion in volunteering, as well as strategies for overcoming barriers to volunteering for people from ethnically diverse communities.Read more
Somerset Diverse Communities Directory of ethnically diverse community groups
Keep up to date with our SDC News
In this Issue:
- Bridgwater Together 2023 was a HUGE success!
- Come to our FREE Conversation Clubs in Yeovil, Taunton and Glastonbury!
- Monthly Update : A round-up of the latest news from Hinkley Point C
- This month read our Community Spotlight on the Somerset Women of Colour Network: We are Empowered Women, Empowering Women!
- NEW Training and workshops for organisations are now available with our SDC Team!
Event Management Basics for Community Groups
Does your community group want to hold and event and is not sure where to start?… We can help!
The SDC team and Alice Edmonds from Love Yeovil delivered a training to get to grips with:
- health and Safety
- plus case studies and examples
To see all our training events / online webinars see our webinar channelSDC Webinar Channel
Somerset Welcome Pack
If you have just arrived in Somerset download our Somerset Welcome pack.
A complete guide of local information covering:
- Education & schools
- Benefits, employment, money and debt
- English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) and language support
- Social events and activities
- Volunteering opportunities
- International foods shops
- General information and useful links
Know your rights guide & resources
A guide to help migrants understand their rights and how to assert them covering topics:
- Digital rights
- Hate crime
- Social Services
Hate Crime support & information
Stand against racism and inequality (SARI) provides free and confidential support for anyone who is a victim of hate crime.
SARI have created a series of recourses to support anyone who witnessed or been a victim’s of a hate crime.
If you need to get in touch with other local councils, charities, organisations, police or government bodies SARI have them all on there website.
Visit: www.sariweb.org.ukDownload SARI’s Somerset’s Hate Crime leaflet here
Language for learners
Free Webinar Channel
Advice and information translated into a wide range of languages
We meet, listen and hear the diverse voices of Somerset, discuss experiences, and learn about the cultural exchanges happening on our doorstep.