Creating a Social Enterprise Network for Somerset
The Smart Communities team has created the Somerset Social Enterprise Network to help social enterprises across the county to flourish and for the sector to grow.
What is a social enterprise?
Social enterprises are businesses that are changing the world for the better. Like traditional businesses, they aim to make a profit but it’s what they do with their profits that sets them apart – reinvesting or donating them to create positive social change. Social enterprises are in our communities and on our high streets – from coffee shops and cinemas to pubs and leisure centres, banks and bus companies.
Famous examples include Big Issue, Divine Chocolate, and the Eden Project. In Somerset we have some excellent social enterprises making real differences in our communities, this includes Rusty Road 2 Recovery in Bridgwater, Minehead Eye, the Great Western Hotel in Taunton, the Red Brick Building in Glastonbury and The Hub Yeovil, and all our community-run shops and village halls.
These events are currently online due to the COVID-19 restrictions. Let us know if there are topics you would like to see covered
November 3rd 2020 – 6.30 – 7.30pm
Meet the Funder & Get Investment Ready!
FOR MORE INFORMATION AND TO BOOK:Click here to find out more and secure your space
What we offer members
- Training events, visits and networking opportunities to meet the needs of new and developing social enterprises.
- Our events are virtual for now during COVID restrictions.
- Access to a Somerset only members Facebook Group, talk to others, share ideas and resources
- Promotion of social enterprise to policymakers and commissioners.
- Regular newsletters and local bulletins keeping you up to date with funding, grants and advice available for social enterprises as well as another way of showcasing individual organisations – email us with your details to be in the spotlight!
- Read past newsletters HERE
Be part of a wider network – the Enhance Social Enterprise Network Devon & Somerset
As a Somerset Network member you are automatically enrolled for free to the Enhance Social Enterprise Network Devon & Somerset.
This wider network is a partnership of:
- Devon Communities Together (DCT), covering the rural Devon area
- ESSENCE of Exeter CIC, covering Exeter
- Plymouth Social Enterprise Network (PSEN), covering Plymouth
- Local Spark: Torbay Community Supported Enterprise, covering Torbay
- Somerset Social Enterprise Network – managed by the CCS Smart Communities Team, covering the whole of Somerset)
Enhance Network benefits available to you
- There is a dedicated website for the Enhance Social Enterprise Network for Devon & Somerset where you can claim your social enterprise listing and be visible to a wider network. The website has a searchable social enterprise business directory to facilitate business to business selling, public procurement, and business to customer selling – helping us to spread the word about the amazing work of our social enterprises!
- Search for your organisation and then click ‘Claim My Listing’ so you can add photos, events, promotions..
- You will have access to the Devon & Somerset members-only Facebook Group, talk to others, share ideas and resources
- Members-only events that our Devon colleagues organise are open to Somerset Social Enterprises, however there may be a small charge to attend.
The Somerset network is part of the Enhance Social Enterprise Network, a legacy project developed with funding from ERDF & the European Social Fund.
Members will still be mapped as part of this project, in a special searchable map allowing people and organisations to find South West social enterprises here: